“My mom has always made this for us on Christmas morning, and since we only have it once a year it makes it even better. It is so delicious, and everyone enjoys it! When I double the recipe I use 1 pound regular sausage and 1 pound sage sausage.”
I made it this morning and it was fabulous! It was so pretty – should be on the front of a magazine. I loved the fact that you can make it the night before. I did increase the eggs to 8 as one of the other reviewers suggested and it still turned out great.
This is one of the best tasting egg casserole dishes I have had. I liked that it didn’t taste soggy, probably due to the fact that the bread is toasted before cooked. This was a big hit at the brunch I served. I am glad I made two pans!
- 1 pound ground pork sausage
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2 cups of milk
- 6 slices white bread, toasted and cut into cubes
- 8 ounces mild Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Crumble sausage into a medium skillet. Cook over medium heat until evenly brown; drain.
- In a medium bowl, mix together mustard powder, salt, eggs, and milk. Add the sausage, bread cubes, and cheese, and stir to coat evenly. Pour into a greased 9×13 inch baking dish. Cover, and chill in the refrigerator for 8 hours, or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Cover, and bake 45 to 60 minutes. Uncover, and reduce temperature to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Bake for an additional 30 minutes, or until set.